Thursday, February 2, 2017

Blind Date With a Book!

Are you looking for an exciting reading promotion that will get your students to check out more books?  Try doing a Blind Date With a Book. When I first started my position at Indian Mills Middle School a couple of months ago, I noticed that many of my students - especially my 7th and 8th graders - do not borrow books from the library.  This was heartbreaking to me, especially since we have such an awesome collection.  So I am making it my mission this year to up those circulation statistics through lots of fantastic reading promotions.  The Blind Date with a Book has been a great way to get those reluctant readers to borrow library books.

So what is Blind Date with a Book?

Blind Date with a Book is a reading display/promotion where you cover the books up and write only short descriptions of the book - like the genre, themes, or some librarians just write the first line from the novel.  Many libraries do it during the month of February, for Valentine's Day

Here's How I Did It . . .


  1. I picked some awesome books.  Those books that are not the most popular (so no novels they will be reading in class, or that have been made into popular movies)
  2. I wrapped those books up in brown wrapping paper.  You know - the kind you wrap packages in.
  3. I cut out a red heart and wrote the genre and themes of each book and taped the heart to the front of the book once it was covered up.
  4. I wrote the barcode number on the back of the book once it was covered up.
  5. I added some inexpensive Valentine's ribbon I found at the dollar store to 2 corners.  I just taped the ribbon on (when students check out the book, I take off the ribbon and reuse, so I don't have to keep using the ribbon)

My Display Area
My display area consists of plastic hearts, Valentine's Day helium balloon weights, and Valentine's Day tinsel.  All of these things I found at the dollar store.  I also used book stands to stand the books up.  I created the sign with our letter machne.  I also created a sign with directions for participating in the Blind Date with a Book.

Incentive to Read the Book

I wanted to make sure my students were not just borrowing the books, but reading the book, too.  In order to achieve this, I created bookmarks that have an area to write a short review of the book they read.  Once students bring the bookmark back to me all filled out, they receive a small bag filled with candy and stickers.  Not too crazy about handing out candy?  Be creative and use something else . . . Bookmarks, pencils, extra time on the computer pass.  So many possibilities.

This has been a highly successful promotion, and I recommend creating display areas and promotions like this often.  A great way to keep kids excited about reading and coming to the library! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.