Monday, September 3, 2018

Great Start To a New School Year

It's the night before my first day of 2018/19 school year, and reality is finally sinking in.  This was truly a summer of learning.  I started out by attending the Raspberry Picademy in Jersey City, NJ, attended and presented at ISTE in Chicago, attended the Birdbrain Technologies Training in Pittsburgh, PA in July, and presented at many of the local New Jersey conferences during my break.  I was also able to take a couple of beach vacations with my family to take advantage of my time off.

This summer, I was really inspired by so many of the Facebook posts on my many librarian groups.  Many of the posts created menus of their library services.  We have had many changes to our library over the summer and I decided to promote this to my teachers.  The theme I choose was Have a Sweet Year: Let's Collaborate.   I also decided to use my Bitmoji for all of the items I created.  If you haven't used Bitmoji, it is a great way to make things adorable and really give them a personal touch.  It's easy to create an account by simply going to https://www.bitmoji.com/  Once you create your Bitmoji you can add an extension to your desktop/laptop and even use it on your phone.

The first step I took was creating a menu of services the library can offer the teaching staff.  

I used one of my favorite programs, Canva to create my menu.  Canva makes it so easy with their easy to edit templates.  They even have Menu Templates.  If you haven't used Canva, I recommend it for any of your desktop publishing needs.  Here is my final product.


Two of the biggest changes our school library has had over the summer include a new website and switching from Alexandria to Follett Destiny.  I decided to promote both of these new programs to my staff by creating a bookmark with all the information.  I also created a bookmark that says Have a Sweet Year  I used the Google Drawing program for this.  It seems that Google Drawing is the one Google program that is under-used.  You can create anything with Google Drawings and the ability to collaborate, like all of the other Google products, makes it one of my top program picks.  Here are my completed bookmarks.






To package everything up, I purchased some adorable colored bags at the dollar store (4/$1), some avery labels to print a cute message on the bags, and some candy.  I plan to hand the bags out to teachers individually tomorrow while teachers are working on their rooms.  This will give me an opportunity to get to know my new teachers, and have some awesome conversations with teachers I already know.




Have you created something amazing for your teachers?  I would love for you to share with me what you are doing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.