Friday, January 5, 2024

First Week Back After Break 1/2/24 - 1/5/24

Over Winter Break I did some serious thinking about my blog, and decided to keep more of a running log of my weeks.  This will be a great resource that I can look back on in the future, and will also allow me to share lessons and slides.

My first day back started with an assembly.  My principal put together a New Year, Better Behavior assembly.  We noticed that our students were not doing a great job at following our school rules, and thought we needed to revamp this.  Our school mascot is a bulldog, so we do a behavior incentive call Pawsitive Paw Prints.  Teachers nominate students who are doing an excellent job to receive a paw print, and they receive an incentive.  After 500 paw prints are earned, a schoolwide reward is given.  In December, our students received a Rockin' Recess (an extra recess time). Our principal reminded students about this, and let our student body know we are resetting for the new year and trying to earn a brand new incentive.  It was great to get the entire student body together

I had a lot of fun planning my lessons for the week.  (Links to slides can be found below)
  • Kindergarten and Autistic Support - We did a snow storytime.  I have adopted a storytime similar to a storytime the public library might offer for preschool/K.  I always create the storytime around a theme.  Usually I include two books and at least one fingerplay or song.  Sometimes I include the flannel board.  This week we read Winter is For Snow and Bunny Slopes.  We did a snowflake finger play "Five Little Snowflakes" I found some cute images online and printed them out on my printer.  Next, I laminated them, and added velcro.  I had students take turns adding the snowflakes to my flannel board.  We also sang the song Snowflakes, Snowflakes Falling Downs.  This was to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
  • Grade 1 - Prior to break we started a Jan Brett Unit.  Since I only have 30 minutes with my K-2 classes, I decided to skip a story this week and show students how to draw a hedgehog Jan Brett style.  I showed them step by step how to draw a hedgehog, using my smartboard and my students followed along.  After we finished they colored in their hedgehogs and choose their weekly llibrary books.  I plan to hang these up in our hallway.
  • Grade 2 - We reviewed book care.  I introduced this topic by reading the story "What Happened to Marion's Book". As I read I asked students comprehension questions, and we discussed why some of the choices Marion was making in the book were not wise.  Afterwards, we played a short smartboard game where students had to decide if a book care scenario was something they agree with or disagree.  I found this on TPT, so I am unable to share those slides.
  • Grade 3 - I did not see them this week, due to the day off.
  • Grade 4/5 - I did a lesson on Fiction Call Numbers.  I spent quite a bit of time introducing this topic, and showing students how our Fiction books are arranged.  I found a really great Google Slides activity on TPT to teach this skill.  I was able to share an online activity with students where they could fill in answers on a slide by clicking and dragging.
  • TAG Grade 3 - I am still getting a grip on TAG (Talented and Gifted), but I think its going pretty good so far.  We are doing a unit right now in Grade 3 TAG called Break the Code.  We are learning about different types of codes (morse code, semaphore code, Braille, and next week ciphers). This week we learned about the history of communication.  We watched a video together and then students were able to choose 2 different types of communication and watch a quick Brainpop video on each.
  • TAG Grade 4 - Grade 4 TAG is in the middle of an archeology unit.  This week we learned about the National Parks and students were able to complete four separate tasks online.  Now that they finished this, we are able to send a form into the National Parks and they will receive a Jr. Park Ranger badge.  I can't wait to present them with their badges!
  • TAG Grade 5- Grade 5 TAG is in the middle of a Sustainable Solutions unit.  This week I introduced them to different forms of energy.  They are working in groups of 2-3 students to research a certain energy.  Once they finish, their research, they will create a poster and present it to the class.  Here is a copy of the page I created for students to write their notes.





First Grade Creating Hedgehog Pictures!





As you can see I had a very full week.  In addition to teaching lessons, my big project this week was reorganizing my Nonfiction section.  My goal was to add more shelves to my Fiction shelves.  Since my shelves are mostly on wheels, its easy to move things around.  I was able to add 2 shelving units (front and back) to my Fiction section.  To accomplish this I condensed my Nonfiction section a bit.

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.