Sunday, January 28, 2024

Mittens, Jan Brett, Parts of a Book, Research Skills and Intro to Dewey

Welcome to another Blog post!  I skipped last week, becuase we had two days with two hour delays and one day off due to winter storms.  On our delay days, I only see students for book checkout.


New Makerspace


This week I added a Makerspace to our space.  I have been a huge Makerspace fan for many years now.  My experience has included creating a makerspace at the middle, high school and middle school level.  I firmly believe that a makerspace can be a very small area, as well as a large area.  The most important thing is how students are using the tools in your space.  Our current area consists of about ten different building toys/tools (Keva Planks, K'nex, Brain Flakes, Tynker Toys, Magnatiles, Plus Plus Blocks, Lego Duplo, Snap Circuits, Gears, and Legos with a Lego Wall). My students have really loved using this space.  I plan to add more as time goes on.  Some of these things were in the space prior to starting in the position.  Many of the other things I had purchased in the past second hand.  I allow students to use the materials after we are finished the lesson and they have checked out library books.  My district is even promoting it on their website!



Lessons For The Week

This week our library lessons focused on many different topics.  I love the variety I get to include because of all the different grade levels (K-5) I get to see.  As usual, the slides for most of my lessons are linked below

Kindergarten and Autistic Support - This week our theme was Mittens.  We read some great books with the mittens theme and even sang a song about mittens.
Grade 1 - We finished up our Jan Brett unit this week by reading the Snowy Nap.  
Grade 2 - We discussed the Parts of a book.  I used a lesson from Mrs. ReaderPants.  That lesson is linked.
Grade 3 - I did not see this group this week
Grade 4 - We finished up the research process.  I started this a couple of weeks ago.  This was a lesson I purchased from Staying Cool in the Library.  Linked.  I was able to show students World Book Encyclopedia and PebbleGo.  We had a great discussion about finding reliable sources and why databases are a superior choice.
Grade 5 - We did a really cool lesson I found on TPT by Mrs. ReaderPants on the Dewey Decimal System where students were given cards of zoo animals and they had to decide how to organize the animals.  This will serve as an intro to Dewey.  We will do a full lesson on Dewey next week.

Bulldog Packs

My school's mascot is a bulldog - We are the Bulldogs!  Once a month we take 45 minutes and have a fun time making, creating, or doing something.  Our classes become a mix of many grades K-5.  The older students work with the younger students.  This month our focus was on games.  I love to see my students working together and having a great time!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.